Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Would you work at cosmetics store given these conditions?

I went on an interview at a cosmetic store than 99% caters to white women. As a black female coming in the store, the ladies were generally nice and asked me a few questions, one being if I would be comfortable working in a store that primarily catered to Caucasian women and if an old white lady did not want me to help her figuring that I knew nothing about the product line being of darker skin, how would I handle that. They also mentioned that they serve the Socialites in the area and some may be snobby and not want me to help them because of my darker skin. They asked if I was confy with this. I knew that this would come up in conversation being that I'm working for a cosmetics store were pretty much all of the customers will be white. One of the ladies also applauded me for considering the position knowing this. They also mentioned that even with me being different than most of the customers in the store, would I be comfortable. I know business is businesWhat do you think? ThaaaankWould you work at cosmetics store given these conditions?
maybe if they employed more black women they would find that more black woman were happy to shop there- actually i cannot believe that in 2007 these questions are still being asked . I work in the UK employing beauty consultants and would never dream of asking those kind off questions . Good Luck i hope you find a great job..Would you work at cosmetics store given these conditions?
well, i don't know your background and expertise, a certified cosmetologist is trained to work with all skin types and all skin tones, so race really shouldn't matter, if you are confident in your knowledge. this may be a great opportunity for you to help expand the store's customer base, from grumpy old women to a hipper crowd. good luck !!!
i think its nice of them to prepare you before you get the job and get an a$$hole and freak out. if you are comfortable take the job. it doesn't seem like the ladies you will be working with are rude and hateful, if they didnt like you they didnt have to talk with you about this. luck.
It seems like that ladies that you will be working with on a daily basis are friendly and nice to you. That can help a lot. If you have a nasty customer it will help to have fellow associates on your side who you can talk to. It does seem like it might be a difficult situation for you to be in. You are going to have to ask yourself if you can handle that drama that may occur on a daily basis or not at all from these snobby socialites. If you decide to take the job kudos to you for taking a position that means you will have to stand your ground and maybe show these old ladies that all people can be wonderful sales people.
I don't know, their questions seem a little bit off, like they might be trying to scare you away from wanting the position. I think it's okay for them to let you know that the majority of the customers need help with cosmetics that may be different from what you're used to. But why would they have to say that an old white woman might not want you to help her?!?! That could happen if you're a waitress, or a secretary, or in any other profession, but they don't usually bring it up in the interview! It sounds a bit strange to me.
Merle Norman sucks anyways! LOL, just kidding.





But it was very unprofessional of them to even ask you or ANYONE questions like that.
Well, my dear, the reality is that we are living in a society that is very judgmental about our race and color. Being from Middle East, I sympathize with you. However, here is my answer: Go for the position and show that you know what you are doing. If someone does not want you, that is their loss. In fact, considering that you are dark, you have an objective view on what looks better on a white skin versus a tanner skin. Find the names of black makeup artists that are famous and work on celebrities and remember to use those names when you are attacked with an offensive remark. Good Luck!
I think you should work it girl as a beautiful black woman. Stop with the stigma and get the job. So what if you are working with the majority of white people. Tell yourself that you CAN do the job and nothing can defeat you. So what if white women don't want you to help them. You should always put yourself in someone else's shoes like how does a white person feel when they are surrounded by all blacks are they comfortable, do you make them comfortable? Don't ever let someone else discourage you from getting something you want just because of your skin color or you will be setting yourself up. Do you think Oprah let that get in her way?





Do what you need to do and represent and be the best damn makeup artist/seller that they have ever encountered.





And that's that!
Uh Hello how rude are the people giving this interview???? I would imagine they are only putting into words what you have already thought. I guess I would take the job if you are comfortable working with people who see your race and not who you are.
look at it this way..it would be a learning experience for you and for the customers





you are being giving the opportunity to change at least one persons view on a race other then their own..the littlest things..such as selling makeup to someone...can change the way someone is for the rest of their life
Personally, I think it wasn't really rude of them to ask you that question. They were just being honest. But if I was in your position, if I think I can handle that well then I would go for it. But realistically speaking also, I would RATHER not have or I would rather choose to find another job that I would not subject myself to indifference. The truth is we are in a world/society where we are being judged with the color of our skin. And people are struggling everyday. My point is you have a choice (there are other jobs out there) you don't have to prove anything. Don't risk yourself sticking out like a sore thumb. There are a lot more jobs out there that will make you feel welcome.
If your are comfortable with it why not? I saw black women working the cosmetics counter at Macys the other day and I think it's good. Maybe it would make others comfortable to go into a place like that if they see you working there.
Well, I have to applaud them for being honest. I mean it was harsh but probably true (they know their clientele). Did THEY seem nice? Would you be comfortable working with them? If you like them and it seems like a good working environment with room for advancement. Go for it. I know that I wouldn't have any problems asking a woman of color make up advice. I'm not black but I have dark skin and I have problems picking out good shades, yeah, I'd actually prefer a woman of color. Do good work and know your product and no one will have any problem with your skin color. It's up to you. Good luck :)








P.S. Can you give me some cosmetic tips, I'm a hopeless case!!!!!!!!!
look how well liked Oprah Winfrey is......it depends on a personality

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin moles